What Makes A Smart Punter?
JC Lim / July 21,2018
People, time and time again, lose out on large sums of money due to making rookie mistakes while betting, and whether you’re a fan or not, you will have to admit that there is quite a bit of intelligence and skill that goes into successful gambling.
A smart punter is someone who:
- Knows the nuances - An experienced bettor knows the ins and outs of whatever field he or she is betting in. From poker and blackjack to horse racing to football, it is vital to either read up on everything there is to know or gain practical experience by physically partaking whenever possible. A poker player knows all the possible moves and strategies they could employ and the possible outcomes. A derby better knows the condition of all the horses, past performances, the odds, and probabilities.
- Avoids biases - In the cutthroat world of betting, emotions are a vice. Your home team won’t win, just because you want them to. A smart punter knows that they must abandon all favoritism and impulse decisions to stand a chance at profiting. There is a whole lot of skill and strategy that goes into making any wager.
- Is patient - You win some you lose some. Sometimes, it may feel like no matter how strategic you are; nothing seems to bring those profit margins up. But let me tell you this. Even professional bettors have bad streaks. Chance does play a massive part in the world of betting, so losses will naturally occur. One has to be patient to make it. Keep at it, and the cash will soon start pouring in
- Learns from experience - Experience is a brutal, but an incredibly efficient teacher. Once you’ve had enough time on the playing field, and been through your fair share of profitable wins and devastating losses, you will be able to navigate your way around like an expert. From your past achievements and mistakes, you’ll know what works and what doesn’t, how to apply a particular strategy, and when to do it. Keep an account of your wins and losses. But be sure never to get too in over your head over the past. Never go chasing old losses, and don’t let previous wins taint your present thinking too much.
- Is smart with their money - It may be tempting to put all your money in when you’re so incredibly sure that there is no way for you to lose. Don’t. Since the world of betting can be so unpredictable, and anything can happen at any time, it’s smarter, and safer to save a little money for a rainy day, just in case things don’t work out. It’s also advisable to start small, especially if you’re relatively new to the gig. You could even think about keeping aside a separate stash of money just for this.
- Search for reliable sources betting tips & predictions online and follow the best of the best to enhance your betting profits.